Saturday, August 15, 2009

Born again...

So then, let's start over. This sorry excuse for a blog has been disused for far too long and deserves more than it's been given so far. Let's be a little blasphemous, slightly irreverent, a bit off the beaten path but with new things to offer.

This blog is wordily called "Beyond the Dichotomy" because American politics as we know it has been artificially divided. Because of a number of outdated policies that have yet to be upgraded, we live in a country that is politically dominated by two heads of the same hydra, an animal that exists solely to acquire and wield power. If you are naive enough to believe that the government has your best interests in mind, please keep reading this blog, because I will do my best to show that our system is mostly self-perpetuating.

I too, am naive. I believe that, despite this self-serving system that the American people (yes, American, not "US Citizens" or other such ridiculosity - a discussion for another day) are a dynamic and caring group of people. I believe that we, as a nation, have a set of core values and goals that make us somewhat unique in the world, something that Alexis de Tocqueville noticed in our growing nation over 150 years ago and something that continues today. We want to prosper, but not at the expense of the failure of others. We want to live well, but not let others live in squalor.

I consider myself neither liberal nor conservative, neither Republican nor Democrat, but fiercely independent and passionately moderate. These are things that I also think the country at large shares with me. There are very few people who accept the entire party line and there are very few who whole-heartedly accept a hackneyed ideology. We are a rugged, intelligent people who resent being confined to a one-dimensional view of politics. Not everything falls so neatly into a binary spectrum of left or right.

This isn't a manifesto, it's an introduction. I will humbly do my best to share those thoughts of mine which I feel are worthy of sharing and do my best to communicate them with a bit of humor and wit. So join me as I infrequently post about those ideas that eschew the current dichotomy that has been thrust upon us. Lord knows, we're beyond that sort of thing.

No comments: